Once a month, I make a list of things that make me happy and grateful. Today, I wasn’t feeling grateful, and was kind of feeling sorry for myself, so it seemed a perfect day to use gratitude as a healing balm. And it worked! Below is my list.
The list’s number always matches the date. Today is the 16th, and here are 16 things I’m grateful for, should they be of interest.
- That my kids call me “Daddy.”
- The setting and rising of the sun.
- Books. The printed kind.
- Receiving emails and texts from my kids—just saying hi.
- The creativity that dwells in so many of my colleagues and friends.
- Being able and willing to give forgiveness to those who haven’t even asked for it.
- Being forgiven.
- A fresh haircut.
- That all my kids are back to school.
- Picturing Dad in Uganda with my peeps.
- My prayer groups.
- Wondering who was the first person to eat an egg, and how hungry they must have been.
- People who try new things.
- High, wispy, white clouds.