Once again, I share my monthly gratitude list.
Today is July 15th, and here are 15 things for which I am most grateful (absolutely in NO particular order):
- Dorah’s answer to this question during a recent media interview: “What makes you happy?” She said, “My dad makes me happy. When we’re together, we laugh a LOT!”
- Hearing this on the telephone: “I miss you, Daddy.” It’s one of those moments that feels both happy and sad at once.
- Nuanced spiritual moments that are at once joyful and sad.
- Finally reaching decisions in complicated, heart-deep issues. The feeling of closure is so warm.
- The little red tomatoes on my tomato plant.
- Great medical results coming in about my kids.
- Being able to see into the future (embodied in my kids), and allowing that to ease the burden of today.
- The “undo” button. I wish I had one of those is real life sometimes.
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes. Who came up with these things? Did the convo start with something like: “You know, wouldn’t it be great if we had little-tiny brushes to scrub our teeth?”
- Posing for photos with my kids—because I know that no one will be looking at me anyway.
- Emails of support from friends ahead of my dissertation proposal defense next week. (Gulp.)
- Silly jokes like: What do you call a lazy, baby Kangaroo? A pouch potato.
- Not feeling bad for misspelling potato every time.
- My kids.